I started completely rewriting the network server today. I was a Qt-based network server. A nice idea, but I couldn't use it on my current server (without maintaining a copy of Qt on the server myself: too much pain).
I started rewriting it in Python and have almost all the functionality I had before.
I was amazed at how fast Python development goes compared to C++ (I wrote it in two hours) and at how small the code is (226 lines versus 2024 for the old code). Everything was designed already, so I only had to port it.
Now I have to think about how to design the next step: connecting it to a database which can be accessed from the webpage. Probably, I'll write my own drupal module for this.